Below you will find recommendations to resources and links that share best practices in early learning and care, as well as strategies to enhance your professional practice.
Research demonstrates that early reading and literacy experiences, opportunities to build vocabularies, and literacy-rich environments are the most effective ways to support the development of pre-reading and cognitive skills that ensure that children are prepared for success in school, including grade-level reading and throughout life.
- First Words is Ottawa’s Preschool Speech and Language program which focuses on prevention, early identification and treatment of speech and language problems. https://www.firstwords.ca/
- What Works, An Introductory Teacher Guide for Early Language and Emergent Literacy Instruction: http://familieslearning.org/public/uploads/editor/files/what-works.pdf
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Books Build Connections Literacy Kit: https://www.aap.org/en-us/literacy/Pages/default.aspx
- Encyclopedia on Early Childhood Development: Language and Literacy Development: http://www.child-encyclopedia.com/language-development-and-literacy
- Brain development sets the foundation for lifelong learning. The early years are a period of exponential brain development, characterized by great opportunity and vulnerability. https://www.zerotothree.org/resources/529-baby-brain-map
“How you can be good at math and other surprising facts about learning”.
Jo Boaler, in her TEDxStanford talk challenges past thinking about numerical literacy and encourages us to change our thinking and methodology when teaching math at any level.
- To support educators working in early years settings in their continuous professional learning, the Ontario Ministry of Education has developed the following thought-provoking resources.
- The Childcare Resource and Research Unit is an early childhood education and child care policy research institute. http://www.childcarecanada.org/
- Early Years Professional Development Centre offers online professional development to expand your knowledge of the early years and what is relevant. http://www.ecedu.ca/
Health and Well-being
- Canadian Paediatric Society produces information and resources on many child and youth health issues. https://www.cps.ca/en/issues-questions
- Professional learning opportunities and resources towards supporting the healthy development of children through outdoor play. http://childnature.ca/forest-school-canada/
- Guidelines and suggestions for replacing time restrained or sedentary screen time with additional energetic play, and trading indoor for outdoor time. https://www.participaction.com/en-ca/thought-leadership/benefits-and-guidelines/0-4
- Reaching IN…Reaching OUT creates evidence-based programs and resources that teach resiliency and coping skills to adults and young children. http://www.reachinginreachingout.com/aboutresilience.htm
- The MEHRIT Centre is an educational organization that offers strategies and resources on self-regulation. https://self-reg.ca/